Since the end of the year is arriving fast, now’s a perfect time to reflect on the games that came out in the last twelve months — and particularly those with great artificial intelligence. Of course, December is a great time for awards too, and who better to give out game AI awards than one of the leading communities for artificial intelligence in games on the internet.
Announcing the 1st Annual AiGameDev.com Awards for Game AI, where the best games of the year are nominated and voted by professionals, enthusiasts, and researchers in artificial intelligence for games. The awards will be conducted over the next two weeks:
THIS WEEK — Post your nominations for the games you think are worthy of an award. Either write a comment below, or email in your suggestions.
NEXT WEEK — The most popular nominations are selected, and voting commences.
Here’s how it works…
There are three categories this year’s nominations.
- Best AI in a Mainstream Game
- What was the best artificial intelligence in a big budget game, published via the traditional distribution channels?
- Best AI in an Independent Game
- Which game written by a small team of developers, either web based or available on PC/Mac, had the best AI?
- Technical Innovation in Game AI
- Who had the best ideas and technology for 2007, including middleware vendors, games listed above, and/or publications of any medium?
Remember, you’re giving an award for the best artificial intelligence in a game. This means it must be a balance of two things:
Entertainment — The AI in a game isn’t supposed to behave perfectly; in fact it’s often supposed to make mistakes in a convincing way. So, are the non-player characters (NPC) or non-character AIs fun to play with or against?
Intelligence & Believability — Do the in-game actors fit in with the design and story? It’s not purely about smarts — but it helps!
Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive, on the contrary! The best games each year successfully use intelligent behaviors to create a fun experience for the players. Stay tuned for this year’s best game AI.
Get started and post your nominations or email them in…